Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Hair Band Curl

Maybe you're sick of me talking about my hair.  I'm not a vain person, but things like this are just TOO EXCITING not to share.

I found another hair tutorial online, this time for more vintage-like curls.  I was having some trouble with the sock bun -- some days it was awesome, some days it was not.  So I tried this new thing!

The link is another girl with a cute accent who talks way too much, and the video is way too long.  I went through the 13 grueling minutes for you, but feel free to watch if my tutorial isn't clear enough!

I started with hair just a tiny bit damp.  Just enough to put some Redken "Guts" in for volume.  I used only a couple of sprays.

First, I used a hair band elastic that you might see a lot of sports players wearing.
I put that over my head, right on top of my hair, and pushed it up a little so that there would be volume at my crown.


At this point, my bangs were out of the elastic, but later I chose to put them in, just to see what would happen.  Next, I took one or two inch sections and wrapped them around the elastic, starting at the front near my temple.


I made the wrap nice and tight in the front for bouncier curls.  You don't continue wrapping each strand around the elastic to the back, you just tuck it under once, and let the ends lay with the rest of your hair.  It will all get wrapped in eventually.

Repeat this process with the rest of your hair on one side, until you get to the back of your head (a few inches behind your ears).  Then, switch to the other side of your head, and complete the wrapping on that side.  Leave the back hanging.  When you are ready to wrap the back, start on one side wrapping, then switch to the other side with the next strand, so you are meeting in the middle.  The last strand on the back of your head, you may need to wrap several times.

This is what it looks like when it's all wrapped up.



I think it's almost cute enough to wear like that!  Haha!  I probably will some day.  (Also, I promise I was wearing a strapless shirt, I didn't mean to look naked.  I just like to wear those when I do my hair so I don't risk pulling a collar over my head).

From the front, here is the view.  



(I changed my shirt -- haha!)

Then, you sleep on it!


When you awake, pull the headband up and off gently.  This is what it looked like first thing in the morning!
Notice that the only crease is on my forehead! 


I used my hairbrush to lightly brush through the curls, for a natural look, and used the tutorial's technique of brushing the hair while it was wrapped around my hand in the direction of the curl.


Then, I spritzed with a little hairspray all over, and went to work!  I told the unbelievers that it was 12 hours, 10 games of hopscotch, 50 hugs, and one nap later -- and curls were still intact!


The only problem I had was during the morning, when it took about two hours for the line on my head to disappear.  I would suggest using a looser headband (mine was brand new), especially if you don't have bangs like I do to cover the line up!

I loved this method, and hope you love it, too!

Red Beans and Ricely Yours,
Tabatha





6 comments:

  1. That is so cool!! :) I like the stuff you post about your hair. If mine was longer I would definitly try these out!! :D

    Kayla Rose Middleton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kayla! That's why I've kept my hair long -- it's a total pain sometimes, but it lets it be more versatile (most of the time).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so did this to my hair tonight. My hair is very finicky, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the morning results. Still have my alarm set early enough to shower if things horrible wrong. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good planning! I wouldn't have thought of that. A ponytail it would have been for me. Haha!
    Send me a picture tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't get any pictures, but it did turn out well. Got lots of compliments and even added a Hawaiian flower hair clip for good measure. :-) going to be a regular occurrence now. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete