Monday, August 8, 2011

For the love of chalk.

Ever since I discovered chalkboard paint, I have been dying to cover something with it!

A few months ago, pre-move, I found this amazing frame at goodwill for around $9.99.  That's usually more than I'm willing to pay for something thrifted, but I just knew it would make something magical!


Then, I thought I might need to show the frame to scale!  So in comes the broom.  


BUT THEN -- what if this was a small broom?  So I jumped in the picture.  For reference, I'm 5'5'', always pretending to be 5'6''.


For the paint, I used Krylon Chalkboard Paint, found at Hobby Lobby and other places for around 8 bucks, but I got it for $6.98 with a coupon a while back!  Gotta love coupons!  

I took the painting out of the frame (which proved difficult because the million little "staple" things holding it in, and the parchment paper on back), and took it outside to paint.  I put some wrinkled wrapping paper I couldn't use underneath to protect the grass, and got to work!  You have to apply two coats, so that the chalkboard appearance will happen.  

I couldn't have asked for a better day to be outside -- it was only around 85 degrees!  The worst part was the ants crawling all over my toes.  I will wear shoes next time.  Some ants and bugs also tried to crawl on the paint, but met untimely deaths.  I tried to blow them off before the toxins reached their bodies, but some are just too intent on crawling all over the place.  Between coats, I brushed dust and grass particles from the Kansas wind off with a paper towel, ever-so gently, as not to mess the paint.

I brought it in, and putting the board back in the frame was even more work than taking it out, but ta-da! This is the finished product (up close and further back):



It is also my goal to make a new cushion for that chair...

I have to wait 24 hours for the paint to draw before I can use my chalk.  The bottle of paint says to stay away from clay-based chalk, so I will have to check on that, but I'm excited!  I can just see messages to dinner guests, holiday quotes, and favorite poems, displayed nicely on the board!

My favorite, and excerpt from "The Welcome," by Thomas Osborne Davis:

So come in the evening, or come in the morning;        
Come when you ’re looked for, or come without warning:
Kisses and welcome you ’ll find here before you,
And the oftener you come here the more I ’ll adore you!

*UPDATE*
I added the words (8-9-11)
It takes a little work to get the chalk off, and it's interesting to write on a slightly textured surface -- but otherwise awesome!  Don't you just love it? :D


Ah, I love to create!


1 comment: