Thursday, August 11, 2011

Beautiful curls using a sock?

When I heard that, it sounded too good to be true.

BUT -- it was worth checking into.

I love to find ways to style my hair with no heat and little to no product.  Much friendlier to the environment AND my locks!

First, I watched the tutorial on curling your hair with no heat.  It is a method that uses a "sock bun."  Then, I had to watch the tutorial on the sock bun.  The girl who does the videos is annoyingly cute and foreign with gorgeous, long hair.  The videos were also lengthy, with a lot of slightly ditzy "umm, uhhh" filling up time.  If you can get through that, you're already doing well.  But again, the picture of the curls I saw seemed worth it.  I knew mine wouldn't turn out as good as her long and luxurious locks, but really wanted to try.

So I did.  I cut the tip off of a sock, rolled it up like a doughnut, and went to town.  Instead of just dampening my hair, I showered and let it dry almost all the way, then blew dry the hair near my scalp.  Here are some pictures of the process:

This is my hair when it was first up in the  sock bun.  I'm not sure I did a great job, and seemed to have way less hair than cute, foreign girl.


When I woke up in the morning, it was only slightly disheveled!  


 This is what it looked like taken down.  Not really that curly...just some awesome waves.
I might look the same if I just didn't brush my hair.


And finally, I put on some mascara and chapstick, to see if that helped.


It was definitely a change from my normal, blow-dryed, straightened, or ponytail look.  I got many compliments, even though it seemed wild to me all day.

I'm going to try again tonight with hair less damp, and I'm going to try and sleep longer than 6 hours. :)  I will post again if anything changes!

*UPDATE*

Last night I did this again with hair less damp, and had it in for around 9 hours, and was SO EXCITED when I woke up and found my hair like this! (I also cut the sock in half so that it wouldn't be so thick.  If my hair was longer it might not be an issue, but I feel this helped, so my hair got wrapped more times around the doughnut shape of the sock).


All I had to do was brush my bangs, use a little hairspray, and then my usual routine of toothbrushing, blush, mascara, and chapstick.  It was so super easy that it might be my new go-to hair!

Holla!





4 comments:

  1. I like it! I'm jealous though. I have this crazy frizzy hair - I don't think it would work. My hair would never look like yours if I just didn't brush it LOL =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just like the word "sock bun" :)

    I hate to admit how challenged I am at all things beauty, but I was watching videos on youtube the other night on how to bump my hair. We shall see if I can pull it off without looking like Snookie (no thanks!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! I can leave comments now!!! Woot woot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katrina -- my hair is a Monet when it's not brushed. Looks good from far away only.

    Shannon -- woo! Glad you could get through. I like that phrase, too. How are you going to bump your hair? I fail at that all that time!

    ReplyDelete