Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Halloween and Happenings

I wish I was one of those organized people who writes things down immediately when they come to them, but I can never seem to find my pen and my paper in the same place.  And when I do...I usually lose it, anyway.
I'm a compulsive "piler."  I start things all the time, get bored, and leave them for later.  I always follow through, but I find it hard to focus on just one project -- probably because I'm so impulsive.

One thing I knew is that I was going to be Mary Poppins for Halloween, dangit.

Not only is she a cultural icon, but I can identify with her on several levels.  Love to laugh?  Check.  Take care of children?  Check.  Brunette?  Check.  Love of all things ridiculous and magical?  CHECK.  I can also spell "supercalifragilisticexpialidocius."  I've been able to do that since the 4th grade.  Party trick!

Here's how the costume turned out:


Practically perfect in every way.  The whole thing was an adventure.  I took some liberties, of course, but I think it turned out rather close to one of her outfits!

The run-down:

-Shirt (I own it)
-Hat (25 cents at the thrift store, spray painted black)  Berries and flowers added (3 bucks)
-Skirt (2.99 at the thrift store)
-Umbrella and purse(both from thrift store, but I already owned them)
-Ribbon sash (one dollar for ribbon at Hobby Lobby)
-The bow tie (ohhh the bow tie -- what an adventure!  I combed store after store after garage sale looking for a red bow tie that wasn't 50 dollars.  I finally settled at Men's Warehouse for 10 bucks!  The most expensive piece, but it really pulled it together)

All in all, I spent less than 20 dollars on a great costume.  I was very pleased!  Since we don't celebrate holidays at school, I couldn't dress up, but I guarantee you I will find a reason to wear this for my kids in the very near future.  I'm known to dress up for stories, so it would be nothing out of the ordinary.  British accent included.


Now that Halloween is over, I'm gearing up for Christmas.  I figure it's only fair that I start celebrating in November.  Other countries (with different forms of Thanksgiving) get to have a lot more fun because they don't feel the "pressure" of waiting until Thanksgiving is over.  I'm joining in.  Little touches here and there, but the tree probably won't go up until after Turkey Day.  Time to start on that Christmas letter!  I've tried to be organized with addresses this year, so expect some sweet holiday mail!

Other than my love for all things festive, life is good.  The new classroom is wild and wonderful and exhausting.  Tim continues to make me smile with his cleverness and the way he places his arm on me while we watch a movie.  I'm missing my family lately, and my sweet friends.  It's hard to be a grown up and be far away, making a life for yourself.  I send them love and light every day.

After a particularly stressful day at work, I got together with my friend and watched Millionaire Matchmaker, or something equally as ridiculous, while drinking wine.  An entire bottle.  Oops.
(Don't worry. It was white wine.  Sweet, delicious white wine.)


Cheers to the new season and to being a grown up, and...to wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment