Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Book Club

It started as a little nugget of an idea, a joke, really.  It was one of those days we like to remember when the air conditioner was actually working.  When the outside wasn't so stifling that it permeated the entire house.  Days of the past.  Two short weeks ago.

Jessica and I sat, me dreaming of things to come (typical), and she adding rhetoric.  I said book club.  Then we laughed about how little we both read these days.  We threw around ideas, our favorite was reading only romance novels and wearing feather boas.  This turned into a facebook status, and the rest is history.  

Tonight, we had three members present at the first official book club meeting (two absent).  Pizza and fresh-fruit sangria were present.  Many laughs were had, gruesome stories exchanged, and each other made fun of.  We decided to meet every two weeks, and to choose books easily-read in that time period.  First up is "My Horizontal Life" by Chelsea Handler.  Classy.

I'm loving these moments I have with friends.  The onderful part of these adventures comes in the reflection, and what it is doing for me as a person.  Sometimes I might write about something that isn't specifically done on my own (what fun is a book club by yourself?  That's called a reading list).  While I feel it contradicts the blog, it's a part of who I am.  And that's okay.  Onederful adventures are still happening daily. :)

But what I really wanted to share was my sangria recipe (that I just onederfully made up -- with influences from facebook friends <Jane!> to my favorite online cooking blogs -- I found something that worked for me).  

Tabatha's Fresh Fruit Sangria

1 small jug of Carlo Rossi Sangria 
1 cup sliced strawberries
1 cup sliced red grapes
1-2 cups frozen raspberries
2 tbsp sugar
Ice
Sliced strawberries to garnish

First, slice up your fruit (duh), and put it in the bottom of the pitcher or beautiful decanter.  Muddle the fruit with a fork, squishing some (I use very technical terms).  Add sugar.  Pour chilled sangria on top.  Add ice as you like it, garnish with a strawberry slice.  Ta-da!  Simple and delicious!   


No comments:

Post a Comment