Sunday, August 29, 2010

The OneDerful Life

I woke up this morning after a night of untranslatable dreaming to find myself with a new idea.  Many big decisions I've made have become clear in a dream, and ideas even originate there.  I can seldom remember what I actually dreamed about, but I wake up with a new resolve; knowing what I need to do.  The first time it happened was when I changed my major from English to Early Childhood Education after two years of English courses.  Crazy?  Maybe.  I worked harder than I ever have to graduate in a reasonable time and learned a lot along the way.  A few dreams and ideas later, I'm on to this one.  

An extrovert by nature, I rarely do anything alone.  When I find myself alone, I mope around and am rendered useless by the feelings of loneliness I have.  I honestly get my energy from other people.  Other people motivate me to do the smallest things.  As I felt sorry for myself Friday night, I ate too much Chinese food and watched The Back-Up Plan as well as six episodes of The Office.  I made myself sick by doing absolutely nothing.  The next day I did the same thing, only this time I tortured myself with hours of PBS.  I watched teenage moms, oppressed women in Israel, an annoying lady painting roses, and of course, a little "This Old House."  When I couldn't take it anymore I stood up to stretch and took a look at my laptop.  I had posted a video to a friend's facebook wall last week about being alone.


I found the video cute at first, but when I watched it again, I noticed something.

The poet writer, Tanya Davis, says "society is afraid of alone..."

I paused the video right there and wondered why.  Why is society afraid of alone?  Why am I afraid of alone?
I closed my laptop and decided to go swimming (logically).  By myself.  In the neighborhood pool.  I only stayed 20 minutes because the water was freezing and some other people came. I didn't want them to think I was weird for being alone.

As I went through the rest of my day, the thought of being alone, and being okay, ran through my head almost constantly.  I washed my car.  I wasted time on facebook for hours.  I eventually drove 40 miles to see a friendly face or three.  As I fell asleep on my friend's couch last night (because I was too afraid to drive home at night alone), I was still thinking of my own alone-liness.  

When I woke up, either my dreams or my restless sleep had given me new direction.

I will be dating myself.

This blog isn't about the sad, depressing, single life.  Yes, I'm single and have recently moved to a new city but this blog is about t this extrovert breeching into new territory and actually enjoying time alone.  I am going to take myself out.  For dinner.  For walks.  For movies.  For dancing.  For a good time.  I want to enjoy life...just like Billy Idol intended -- "dancing with myself..."

No comments:

Post a Comment